Overall Course Structure
Our Chinese Characters II course is geared towards students that have some foundation in Chinese characters and are looking to expand on their mastery of characters. This course is perfect for those that have already completed our Chinese Characters I course, which teaches the 300 most common Chinese characters. The Characters II course consists of 6 levels, with a total of 132 lessons across 24 units, and can be finished in as little as 6 months! The Characters II Course teaches you the 300 next most common Chinese characters, to add to the first 300 characters covered in the Characters II course. With these 600 Chinese characters under your belt, you’ll be able to read more than 80% of written Chinese! You’ll not only learn to read and write these 300 Chinese characters, but you’ll also learn the meaning behind each character and see how these characters can combine with one another to form new words, using a building block approach.
We also pair the individual Chinese characters with great visual or written mnemonics, to help you remember each character with ease.
You'll also learn many example sentences using the characters and words that you've learned across both character courses.In Levels 1-5 of the course, you’ll learn new Chinese characters, words and example sentences, while in Level 6, you’ll have a comprehensive review of all of the characters you’ve learned throughout the course. During this course, you’ll:
- Master how to read and write the 300 next most common Chinese characters
- Understand the meaning behind each character
- Be able to recognize each character in different Chinese fonts
- Learn new words and phrases through combining two or more characters together
- Learn sentences in Chinese using the characters you have mastered
- Understand 80% of all written Chinese
… and more! By the end of this course, you will have gained a strong foundation in Chinese characters, and will be able to read and write characters at an intermediate level. After completing this course, your level should be around HSK Level 3. For more information on the HSK, check out this article.
Learning Materials Included in the Course
The Chinese Characters II course includes a variety of study tools, including:
- Lesson Videos teaching key language concepts
- Lecture Notes PDFs for every lesson detailing the lesson content, including bonus material such as mini quizzes, character writing practice exercises, and more
- Interactive Language Flashcards with normal and slow speed audio, to master what was covered in the lesson
- Interactive 10-Question Quizzes with diverse question types, to thoroughly test your retention of what was covered in each lesson
- Study Schedule PDF to give you more structure when self-studying
- Course Index PDF to find lessons for certain Chinese characters in the course
Lesson-based tools resources be found on the individual lesson pages, and any downloadable resources can be found on our Download Center.
Wondering what the lessons are like? Get started with the first lesson here. As always, if you have any additional questions about the course, feel free to message us using the chat widget and we’d be happy to answer any questions you may have!